Your October Gardening Guide
Ready, set, grow your Summer garden with our October Gardening Guide!
October is all about the SUMMER GARDEN; preparing, digging, planting, fertilising, watering and growing your best garden!
October is one of the best months for roses and yours should be flowering beautifully!
- The first thing to do is definitely to pick the blooms
- Fertilise your roses with a Rosefood or Ludwigs Vigorosa – on SPECIAL now – to give them the sustenance they need to flourish into Summer (enquire at our Inside Information for guidelines on feeding your roses)
- Plant some new roses in your garden – with our FESTIVAL OF ROSES on now you can get from 20 – 50% off selected 5L rose bushes!
- Increases watering as it gets hotter – water deeply right at the base of the rose in order to ensure that the lower parts of the root ball receive water as well as the upper parts.
- Spread a layer of compost throughout your garden to act as a slow release fertiliser and as a mulch for existing garden beds
- Loosen soil with a garden fork and add compost and a 2:3:2 fertiliser to prepare soil for new Summer planting
- Plan and prepare your beds and containers for Summer veggie and flower planting
- Plant fruit trees and shrubs so that you can feed from your garden. And get 20% cashback on all edible fruiting & berry trees and shrubs if you are a Lifestyle Loyalty Club member! Our amazing variety of citrus, figs, berries, nuts, grapes, mangoes, peaches, pomegranates and olive trees, amongst others, are sure to please your Summer garden!
- Plant your ready to plant, ready to use, ready to eat herb and veggie seedlings – on SPECIAL now in 12cm pots!
- Plant Marigold seedlings, now in stock, as companion plants for your herbs and veggies
- Find your favourite colour varieties to plant now, with many on SPECIAL
- Plant your Summer Bulbs: Amaryllis, Dahlia, Begonia, Crocosmia, Daubenya, Eucomis, Galtonia, Gladiolus, Gloriosa, Hemerocallis, Liatris, Nerine, Polianthes, Sondersonia, Sprekelia, Tigridia, Zantedeschia and Zephyranthes (subject to availability)
- Fertilise your garden with a 2:3:2 or 3:1:5 fertiliser – on SPECIAL now – for that Summer boost. You can also mix your fertiliser into your compost when applying it as a mulch
- Feed your lawn with a 5:1:5 fertiliser
Sow Herbs and Veggies
- Sow vegetable seeds such as: Artichoke, Beans, Beetroot, Cabbage, Capsicum, Carrot, Cucumber, Leeks, Lettuce, Melon, Parsley, Pumpkin, Radish, Rape, Rhubarb, Spinach, Squash, Sweetcorn, Tomato, Turnip and Watermelon (subject to availability)
- Sow herb seeds such as: Asparagus, Basil, Catnip, Celery, Chamomile, Chives, Coriander, Cumin, Dill, Echinacea, Evening Primrose, Garlic Chives, Lavender, Lemon Balm, Linseed, Lovage, Lucerne, Marjoram, Mint, Oreganum, Parsley, Paprika, Peppermint, Rocket, Sage, Spearmint, Tarragon and Thyme (subject to availability)
Sow Flower Seeds
- Sow flower seeds such as: Alyssum, Antirrhinum, Aquilegia, Aster, Cactus, Carnation, Chrysanthemum, Coleus, Cosmos, Dahlia, Delphinium, Dianthus, Foxglove, Gazania, Gypsophila, Helichrysum, Hollyhock, Impatiens, Lobelia, Marigold, Nasturtium, Petunia, Phlox, Portulaca, Protea, Salvia, Sunflower, Thunbergia, Verbena White Lace Flower and Zinnia (subject to availability)