A new season is on the horizon and with all the glorious rain that we have had in Jozi, it is the perfect time to get excited for the beautiful Autumn colours and planting opportunities to prepare your garden for a spring flourish!
- Buy winter and spring flowering bulbs
- Start planting the winter bulbs now, like; Amaryllis, Anemone, Freesia, Daffodil, Hemerocallis, Ixia, Iris Dutch, Leucojum, Ilium, Mascara, Ranunculus, Sparaxis and Watsonia
- Prepare your beds for spring flowering bulbs now by mixing in compost and bonemeal/superphosphate (do not use bonemeal if you have dogs)
- Lift and divide summer flowering perennials, like Agapanthus and Irises
- Remove your spent summer annuals – like your fading impatiens - while planning for the planting of autumn and winter flowering annuals, like pansies and primulas
- Your roses should be looking beautiful, be sure to pick and enjoy abundant bunches in your home
- Also continue fertilising your roses with a rose fertiliser and dead heading where necessary to encourage another spectacular flush into winter
- Remove spent summer veg
- Sow winter vegetable seeds like; broad beans, cauliflower, celery, garlic, kale, onions, peas and turnips (the perfect additions to your hearty winter soups)
We have a large variety of spectacular flowering succulents in the nursery now, for a water savvy option choose your favourites in various sizes and plant in garden beds or containers for windowsills and patios...