Your January Gardening Guide
Ready, set, grow your Summer garden with our January Gardening Guide!
General January Garden Maintenance
- Weed beds regularly
- Feed your garden beds monthly with a general fertiliser or 2:3:2
- Add a layer of mulch to your garden beds in order to prevent water loss, reduce evaporation and to retain moisture – ask a sales advisor for help finding your best option of mulch from our wide range
- Dead head and feed Summer annuals
- Trim and shape topiaries, hedges and standards
- Plant Salvias now – they are absolute Jan faves!
- Plant seedlings like Celosia, Vinca and Snapdragons
- Plant Angelonias
- Plant ground covers to act as a mulch during the hot season – ground covers assist in holding moisture and decreasing evaporation which in turn helps to retain the nutrients in the soil
- Plant seed potatoes for early Winter harvesting
- Fertilise all new plantings with a 2:3:2 fertiliser
- Feed flowering and fruiting plants with a 3:1:5 or Fruit & Flower fertiliser
- Feed leafy plants, veg and lawn with an 8:1:5 or a 5:1:5 fertiliser
You can also visit our fertiliser section for advice on the best food for your garden.
January Watering Guide
- With the Summer heat it is important to water your plants in pots and containers more regularly and to water garden beds every day
- Consider installing a drip irrigation system to more efficiently water your garden – enquire at Mica Lifestyle for more info
- Now is also the perfect time to take advantage of Summer rainfall and invest in a rainwater tank to harvest our precious rainwater to be used throughout your home and garden, and to help save on your water bill!
Sow these Herbs and Veggies in January
- You can sow vegetable seeds such as: Artichoke, Beans, Beetroot, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrot, Cauliflower, Cucumber, Kale, Leeks, Lettuce, Onion, Parsley, Pumpkin, Radish, Rape, Rhubarb, Spinach, Squash, Sweetcorn, Tomato, Turnip and Watermelon (subject to availability)
- You can sow herb seeds such as: Asparagus, Basil, Borage, Catnip, Celery, Chamomile, Chives, Cumin, Dill, Echinacea, Evening Primrose, Florence Fennel, Garlic Chives, Garden Cress, Lavender, Lemon Balm, Linseed, Lovage, Lucerne, Lupins, Marjoram, Mustard, Mint, Oreganum, Parsley, Paprika, Peppermint, Rocket, Sage, Spearmint, Tarragon and Thyme (subject to availability)
Sow these Flower Seeds in January
- You can sow flower seeds such as: Alyssum, Anchusa, Antirrhinum, Aquilegia, Aster, Cactus, Candytuft, Carnation, Chrysanthemum, Coleus, Cosmos, Dahlia, Delphinium, Dianthus, Foxglove, Gazania, Gypsophila, Helichrysum, Hollyhock, Impatiens, Kniphofia, Lobelia, Marigold, Nasturtium, Petunia, Phlox, Portulaca, Primula, Protea, Salvia, Statice, Sunflower, Stocks, Thunbergia, Verbena White Lace Flower and Zinnia (subject to availability)