Your December Gardening Guide
Ready, set, grow your Summer garden with our December Gardening Guide!
General December Garden Care
- Be sure to weed regularly before weeds go to seed
- Feed your garden beds monthly with a general fertiliser or 2:3:2
- Spread a layer of compost throughout your garden to act as a slow release fertiliser and as a mulch for existing garden beds
- Add a layer of mulch to your garden beds in order to prevent water loss, reduce evaporation and to retain moisture – especially useful for when you are going away and wont be able to water as regularly
- Continue dead heading rose bushes and treat against black spot, aphids and other insects like red spider (visit our inside information desk for assistance and fungicide advice)
- With all the rain we have been having as of late, moulds and especially fungicides can be quite prominent – keep a close look out for fungi on your plants and bring in a leaf or a photo for us to help you identify and treat the fungus
- Plant bougainvilleas to add beautiful masses of Summer colour to your garden – available in various sizes and colours – can withstand intense heat so they are great for your Summer garden
- Buy poinsettias for decor and table enhancements during the festive season and once they have played their role plant these striking beauties in a shady spot in your garden
- Plant hydrangeas now – they are a hot Summer fave!
- Plant Hemerocallis ‘Day Lily’ – also a popular choice in Summer – and now on SPECIAL
- Plant ground covers to act as a mulch during the hot season – ground covers assist in holding moisture and decreasing evaporation which in turn helps to retain the nutrients in the soil
- Fertilise all new plantings with a 2:3:2 fertiliser
- Feed citrus trees now with a 3:1:5 fertiliser
- Fertilise flowering plants with a Flower & Fruit fertiliser or a 3:1:5 fertiliser
- Feed your lawn with a 5:1:5 fertiliser
- Fertilise your herbs, veggies and other fruit with a 6:3:4 fertiliser
You can also visit our fertiliser section for advice on the best food for your garden.
December Watering Guide
- As it heats up it is important to water your plants in pots and containers more regularly
- Consider installing a drip irrigation system to more efficiently water your garden – enquire at Mica Lifestyle for more info
- Now is also the perfect time to take advantage of Summer rainfall and invest in a rainwater tank to harvest our precious rainwater to be used throughout your home and garden, and to help save on your water bill!
Keep your plants hydrated during the holidays with our watering gadgets…
With our NEW Smart Irrigator you will be able to supply your plants with enough water for between 20 and 30 days!
Step 1: Water plant normally to soften soil
Step 2: Fill an empty 1 litre bottle with water and firmly screw on the Smart Irrigator
Step 3: Push the Smart Irrigator into the soil leaving about 2cm of the Smart Irrigator above the surface
Step 4: Punch a hole in the bottom of the bottle in order to ensure a constant flow of water
Get yourself one – or a few – for just R99.99 each (code: 886955)
Urbanscape green cubes are the first mineral wool based cubes, that assist with soil enhancement, used for optimal water absorption and retention, which you simply mix with your soil or other organic based mixes when planting or potting up your plants.
Green cubes assist in conserving water and help in growing healthy plants:
- Better growth
- Less watering
- Easy to use
- Environmentally friendly
5.5L Box for R149.99
With Wonder Stockosorb there is no need to worry about watering your plants, both indoor and outdoor, this holiday – Stockosorb increases the water holding capacity of soil, enabling plant growth and efficiently releasing water to plants on demand.
Non toxic and environmentally safe; perfect for potted plants, flower beds, shrubs and trees, hanging baskets and your vegetable garden.
Simply mix a small amount with soil around your plants and water well (see package for specific directions for use) to save water and keep your plants healthy!
200g bottle for R129.99
Sow these Herbs and Veggies in December
- You can sow vegetable seeds such as: Artichoke, Beans, Beetroot, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Capsicum, Carrot, Cauliflower, Cucumber, Leeks, Lettuce, Melon, Parsley, Pumpkin, Radish, Rape, Rhubarb, Spinach, Squash, Sweetcorn, Tomato, Turnip and Watermelon (subject to availability)
- You can sow herb seeds such as: Asparagus, Basil, Catnip, Celery, Chamomile, Chives, Cumin, Dill, Echinacea, Evening Primrose, Garlic Chives, Lavender, Lemon Balm, Linseed, Lovage, Lucerne, Marjoram, Mint, Oreganum, Parsley, Paprika, Peppermint, Rocket, Sage, Spearmint, Tarragon and Thyme (subject to availability)
Sow these Flower Seeds in December
- You can sow flower seeds such as: Alyssum, Anchusa, Antirrhinum, Aquilegia, Aster, Cactus, Carnation, Chrysanthemum, Coleus, Cosmos, Dahlia, Delphinium, Dianthus, Foxglove, Gazania, Gypsophila, Helichrysum, Hollyhock, Impatiens, Lobelia, Marigold, Nasturtium, Petunia, Phlox, Portulaca, Protea, Salvia, Sunflower, Stocks, Thunbergia, Verbena White Lace Flower and Zinnia (subject to availability)